I am using tomcat 6. And I have enabled log4j by placing log4j.xml and
log4j.jar files in classpath. It did change to log4j but I see that
some debug messages are put in log files and some are not. I was
looking around and found the following:

# Set juli LogManager if it is present
if [ -r "$CATALINA_BASE"/conf/logging.properties ]; then
  JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS
-Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager"

LOGGING_CONFIG="-Djava.util.logging.config.file=$CATALINA_BASE/conf/logging.properties"
fi

Does this have any impact. I have logging.properties in conf, does it
change behaviour in any way. Should I be getting rid of this file. I
still don't understand why some debugs are printed and some are not.