We are using Tomcat 5.5.17 and are using a custom ClassLoader, which we
specify using the Loader element per the documentation at
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/loader.html.

We place the jar containing our custom ClassLoader in the
tomcat\server\lib folder, per the documentation at
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/class-loader-howto.html.  (I
forget why we did this originally, but I think we had problems if we put
it elsewhere.)  According to this documentation, classes in this jar
should be TOTALLY invisible to web applications.  And indeed, for the
most part, if we try to reference some class  in this jar, we get a
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError.  What is strange, however, is that
sometimes the web-app does seem to find classes in this jar.   Even more
strange, it does not seem to be deterministic.  The app will work for a
few days, and then it won't.  So I understand why it does not work
(class should not be visible), but why does it ever work?

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be going on?