Hi Martin,

This is my startup.bat. Here it is doing the job of setting the
CATALINA_HOME if it is not defined and calling CATALINA.bat..
I can find JAVA_HOME ENV variable found in many places in CATALINA.bat. But
i can find any JAVA_HOME variable in the list of environment variables or
in any of the scripts .( which is assigning a value for it)

rem Guess CATALINA_HOME if not defined
if not "%CATALINA_HOME%" == "" goto gotHome
set CATALINA_HOME=.
if exist "%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\catalina.bat" goto okHome
set CATALINA_HOME=..
:gotHome
if exist "%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\catalina.bat" goto okHome
echo The CATALINA_HOME environment variable is not defined correctly
echo This environment variable is needed to run this program
goto end
:okHome

set EXECUTABLE=%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\catalina.bat

rem Check that target executable exists
if exist "%EXECUTABLE%" goto okExec
echo Cannot find %EXECUTABLE%
echo This file is needed to run this program
goto end
:okExec

rem Get remaining unshifted command line arguments and save them in the
set CMD_LINE_ARGS=
:setArgs
if ""%1""=="""" goto doneSetArgs
set CMD_LINE_ARGS=%CMD_LINE_ARGS% %1
shift
goto setArgs
:doneSetArgs

call "%EXECUTABLE%" start %CMD_LINE_ARGS%

:end

Regards,
Thangavel Sankaranarayanan

             Martin Gainty
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                       Tomcat Users List
             10/17/2008 07:30          <users@tomcat.apache.org>

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         RE: JAVA_HOME is not found but
               "Tomcat Users           tomcat is running. possible?
                   List"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 che.org>

doesnt sound right ..here is an excerpt from setclasspath.sh

# Make sure prerequisite environment variables are set
if [ -z "$JAVA_HOME" -a -z "$JRE_HOME" ]; then
  # Bugzilla 37284
  if $darwin && [ -d
"/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5/Home" ]; then
    export
JAVA_HOME="/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5/Home"
  else
    echo "Neither the JAVA_HOME nor the JRE_HOME environment variable is
defined"
    echo "At least one of these environment variable is needed to run this
program"
    exit 1
  fi
fi
if [ -z "$JAVA_HOME" -a "$1" = "debug" ]; then
  echo "JAVA_HOME should point to a JDK in order to run in debug mode."
  exit 1
fi
if [ -z "$JRE_HOME" ]; then
  JRE_HOME="$JAVA_HOME"
fi

As you can clearly see you will need to have either JRE_HOME or JAVA_HOME
environment vars set before executing
Since all of this is conjecture and speculation..do you have the source for
tomcat.exe so we can find out whats going on?

Thanks,
Martin Gainty
GMT+5
(e)[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Disclaimer and confidentiality note
Everything in this e-mail and any attachments relates to the official
business of Sender. This transmission is of a confidential nature and
Sender does not endorse distribution to any party other than intended
recipient. Sender does not necessarily endorse content contained within
this transmission.