"André Warnier" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Louis wrote:
> [...]
>> PrincipalAuthenticator is an implementation of a Tomcat Authenticator
>> that allows transparent authorization to happen for corporate Windows
>> users.
> [...]
> The JKConnector provides Tomcat the ability to sit behind an instance of
> IIS and have requests passed to it for java applications. If NTLM
> (Integrated Windows Authentication) is enabled on IIS and
> tomcatAuthentication="false" on the tomcat side AJP connector, then IIS
> will provide each request into tomcat with a Principal container the
> user's DOMAIN\USERNAME. ie: javax.security.Principal(HOME\ME). This is a
> fully authenticated credential when used in a trusted domain.
> [...]
>>
>> The PrincipalAuthenticator uses the Principal supplied by IIS to make
>> Tomcat ask the SecurityRealm what roles the user should have. It closes
>> the JAAS loop.
> [...]
>
> Hi.
>
> I am unfamiliar with Tomcat Authenticator(s), therefor my questions below
> may be naive or nonsensical. I apologise in advance if that is the case.
>
> What you describe above for IIS, seems to me similar to the case where
> Apache in front of mod_jk performs user authentication, and passes it on
> to Tomcat through mod_jk.  In that case also I believe that each request
> in Tomcat ends up with a javax.security.Principal(user-id).
> If the Apache authentication is based on NTLM (various add_on modules
> allow that at Apache level), then the user-id is also of the form
> Domain\User.
> If I understand thus correctly what PrincipalAuthenticator does, it is not
> to itself authenticate the Tomcat user, but associate this user with
> Tomcat roles. Yes ?
> And it would work just as well, whether the original authentication came
> from IIS or from Apache, or any other source (e.g. the jCIFS servlet
> filter).  Is that correct ?

With the attribute tomcatAuthentication="false", the out-of-the-box Tomcat
will authenticate the user (i.e. assign a Principal), but without any roles.
This means that container-based security (i.e.
<security-constraint>...</security-constraint>) is almost useless in this
case.

> Next, the association between users and roles.
> The way it is described above, it sounds like, at the Tomcat level, there
> must still be some source of information that associates a given user-id
> with a list of roles.  How is that achieved, and how does the user-id part
> of this get to be known by Tomcat ?
> Does Tomcat need its own local list of NTLM user-id's associated to roles
> ?

Not being interested enough to look over the code ;), it sounds like this
finds the roles assigned to NTLM and assigns them to the user.  In this
case, it sounds like it works a lot like the JNDIRealm except that it skips
the additional sign-on step (so the user doesn't have to send a
username/password, and is just logged in with their NTLM credentials).

> As a more generic topic, does there exist any method by which the notion
> of "role" in Tomcat parlance can be associated (preferably dynamically and
> without a local store) with the notion of "user groups" in NTLM/Windows
> Domain parlance ?

Nothing in Tomcat-out-of-the-box.  You'll have to take it up with the OP if
he wants to add such an extension to his code.