----- Original Message ----- From: "Johnny Kewl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, October 27, 2008 4:02 PM
Subject: Re: Tomcat 5.5 and RMI

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sven A" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 26, 2008 2:40 PM
Subject: Tomcat 5.5 and RMI

Hi,

I'm looking at options in running our standalone RMI application within a
servlet container since we're planning to build support for http. I'm
currently testing our app on Tomcat 5.5 and my question is if Tomcat by
default actually dispatch incoming RMI calls to different threads. Looking
at the server stats in Tomcat manager it doesn't seem to be the case in
terms of active number of threads etc.

My second question is if there are servlet containers out there that has
support for RMI connectivity and can dispatch incoming requests.

Thanks

Been there, done that ;)
Look at the link below...

eg I drop library (jar) into (harbor) "servlet" repository...

remote apps call it like this... in this case the class is called Factory, could be anything...

i_Factory = (I_Factory)vessel.loadRemoteClassInst(I_Factory.class,"net.uitestapp.Factory");//load a class instance ON the harbor

i_Factory.DoSomeThing("Hello World"); // etc etc local call against remote class

The calls are HTTP based...  no firewall problems...
Because HTTP every call is on its own thread...

I'm told I should clarify this a little...
It works just like http requests work... Tomcat grabs a thread from the pool, this thread is used for the call, if the remote app makes many calls, the connection is held on a keep a live, so thread assignement is quick between calls... protocol is binary not soap so very quick.
If data packets are large, chunking and all that good stuff just happens...

I can remember the details off hand but that thread marshalling was extremely complex, I spent a good few weeks getting it right, else your class loaders are screwed and dont see each other properly which is what I think you asking...

So there you have it... to give you an idea of what you into... it took 3 of us 2 years to perfect ;)

But its free... you lucky ;)

The only real POJO Application Server.