Good afternoon.  We run a portal solution on top of Tomcat 6.0.16 (and
Java 1_5_16).  We are running out of PermGen space for several instances
of tomcat, which I believe could be some bad code we've received from
our development team.

To test a theory, I'd like to expand the size of our PermGen memory
space from the 64m default to 128m (and possibly higher).  I know by
increasing this setting, I could just be delaying the inevitable.  I am
running Lambda Probe (LP), allowing me to see the various memory
allocations and I see (as well in the logs), PermGen cap out and then
continuous GC occurring.

I have a 2-part question.

1. In Tomcat6w.exe, I set one java_opt to include -XX:MaxPermGen=128m,
but the tomcat service then does not start up.  When I change it to be
-DXX:MaxPermGen=128m (like a lot of our other settings , it starts up
just fine.  Yet.. Lambda probe still shows that I only have a 64m cap on
PermGen.  Am I setting this properly?  (everything I read says yes, but
I'm not getting confirmation via LP).

2.  How can I verify PermGen max size has been increased other than
using Lambda probe (to keep LP honest).

Below are all the java_opts I currently have set.  Some are specific to
the portal environment we run.

-Dcatalina.home=E:\apache\Tomcat6
-Dcatalina.base=E:\apache\Tomcat6
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=E:\apache\Tomcat6\common\endorsed
-Djava.io.tmpdir=E:\apache\Tomcat6\temp
-Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=E:\apache\Tomcat6\conf\logging.propertie
-Dcom.vignette.workingDir=E:\Vignette\cds\inst-vgninst\vcm-vgninst\cdsvc
s\stage-prod\cds-prod\as\conf
-Dcom.vignette.portal.installdir.path=C:\Vignette\Portal
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote
-DXX:MaxPermGen=256m

For perspective, I am an administrator, not a developer.

Bob Morman
EMCSA, MCSA
Enterprise Systems Manager
ASM International Headquarters
http://www.asminternational.org
<blocked::http://www.asminternational.org/>

It's the microelectronics FA event of the year in "North America's Best Big
City," as Portland welcomes the International Symposium for Testing and Failure
Analysis (ISTFA), sponsored by the Electronic Device Failure Analysis Society.
Dates are Nov. 2-6, 2008.  For details: www.istfa.org.