The .java files should be compiled to .class files and either placed in
WEB-INF/classes or put together in a jar file and placed in
WEB-INF/lib.  If you place the compiled .class files in the class
folder, you'll also have to create the directory structure that follows
the package naming.  For example, if you have a class
com.mycompany.myproject.MyClass, it would be placed like this:

WEB-INF
    classes
       com
          mycompany
             myproject
                MyClass.class

Tomcat will find the class automatically without any further mappings or
other configuration.

--David