> From: keeplearning [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Thread Dumps/ Emailing Results...
>
> So, do i need to supply process id with this command. Like:
> kill -3 <process id>.

That's one way to do it.  My preference is to use the jstack tool from the JDK,
assuming you're running a 1.5 or 1.6 Sun JVM.  You still need the process id,
and the JDK includes the jps tool which is easier than wading through the
output of ps.  The JDK tools also work on Windows, whereas kill doesn't
normally exist there.

> Then does the output goes to catalina.out which is our
> log file

The output of kill -3 is sent to stdout or stderr (I forget which), which *may*
be redirected to catalina.out, depending on your Tomcat configuration.  The
jstack output goes to your command window, rather than any of Tomcat's files.

> And do i need to be in specific directory to run
> this command?

No, as long as the command you're using (kill or jstack) is in your PATH.

> 2) once the thread dumps are in catalina.out, how do i mail
> the catalina.out as an attachment?

Edit it first to remove everything but the stack trace.  (Another reason to use
jstack.)  How you mail it depends on your mail client and what additional
information you need to provide.  (I usually just insert the file as text, but
then I'm using the corporate standard MS Outlook rather than any Linux mailer.)
 If you really need to make the whole log available, posting it on a web site
somewhere may be preferable to dumping it in an e-mail.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.