Well I did everything I said I would above and Catalina.out kept on
receiving the System errors and the specified file didn't receive anything.
So I guess it was a failure.

I do believe you can specify in the web app deployment descriptor more
detailed logging, but I haven't had time to test it out.

Sorry I couldn't help ya out more.

Good luck