> From: André Warnier [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat threads
>
> Since apparently this conversation clears some matters up, even for
> gurus, would one of you care to back-up a couple of messages, and
> re-state the final consensus in English for us mere mortals ?

Only for specific questions, like the following.  Too much has been said to
figure out what you think is important.

> Like what gets shared when, in a usual JVM 1.5+ /Tomcat 5.5+ context,
> with say two parallel instances of Tomcat running on the same host ?
> (and what is PermGen ?)

(The text below refers to Sun HotSpot JVMs; other vendors are likely to be
different.)

Sharing depends on the JVM mode.  If you're running a -client version of the
JVM, then some loaded classes are shared across JVM instances.  Exactly which
classes are shared is not completely clear, but it's likely only those the JVM
has control over, such as ones from rt.jar; this needs to be verified.

In a -server JVM (and all 64-bit JVMs run -server mode), nothing is shared in
the currently released JVMs.  It's possible this will change in a future JVM,
but it's still that way in the Java SE 7 beta that I have.

 - chuck

attachments from all computers.