I have a 3rd party application (JForum) that I have running along side my application. The forum software has been running fine for over a year. I restarted the Tomcat server over the weekend, and when it came back up, the forum software wasn't loaded. I tried to deploy the application using the Manager web interface in Tomcat, but it won't load. Specifically, I am entering the context path, XML configuration file path, and the directory URL. Entering this information in the past has worked whenever I have had to redeploy the application. What happens this time is that an OK response is returned, but the application isn't loaded. When I check the logs, there isn't an error message.

I'm stumped because I don't know why it isn't loading. I've verified that the files and directories for the application are readable by the Tomcat user. I've verified that the web.xml file for the application is not corrupted. My software is as follows:

RedHat Linux
Tomcat v5.0.16
JForum v2.1.7
Java 1.4.2

It's possible that there is a conflict happening with one of the .jar files, but I can't determine which one it is because I don't see any error messages. I'm looking for help to determine the cause of the problem. I'm not sure how to proceed from this point.

I've tried setting up a <context> entry in the server.xml file. When I restart Tomcat with that in it, Tomcat fails to load and I get the following error in the log:

INFO: Installing web application at context path /jforum from URL file:/opt/local/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.16/webapps/jforum Nov 11, 2008 1:47:22 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostDeployer install
INFO: Error installing
org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: No suitable Log constructor [Ljava.lang.Class;@19ba640 for org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger (Caused by java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/log4j/Category) (Caused by org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: No suitable Log constructor [Ljava.lang.Class;@19ba640 for org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger (Caused by java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/log4j/Category))

This at least indicates that there is a problem with commons.logging, but I'm not sure how to work with this. Is it a problem with the forum, or something else?

Most likely something was updated at some point, and now there is a conflict. How can I determine if this is a Tomcat issue or an application issue?