Krapacs Ambrose wrote:
I have tried many different configurations and I have been unable to get my Servlets / JSP to connect to MySQL server running. I am trying to get this set up on my main server which is running Ubuntu 8.10 Server with MySQL 5 and Tomcat6. I also tried setting up a Ubuntu 8.04 server with Tomcat 5.5 and MySQL 5. I have even configured Tomcat running on the 8.10 server to try to connect to MySQL running on the 8.04 server. Still no luck!

The exception that is thrown is here:
com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.CommunicationsException: Communications link failure
Hi.
I know little about MySQL and JDBC, but the above seems to be purely at the TCP/IP level : your JDBC driver cannot connect to your MySQL server.

It seems from the above that you are connecting to "localhost" without indicating a port. I thus suppose that JDBC is going to try the "standard port" on which MySQL is supposed to be listening. 1) So first of all, is that the case ? Is MySQL really listening on that port ? (and first of all, is MySQL started ?)
(Try "netstat -n | grep LISTEN" to see all ports being listened on)

2) are your Tomcat and your MySQL server on the same system ? (since you're trying to connect to "localhost")

3) if yes, on that system, when you try "ping localhost", what does it show you ?

4) finally, on the same system, try "telnet localhost xxxx", where xxxx is the port where MySQL is supposedly listening. What do you see then ?