The suggestion works.  However, many of the log files are gone.  There used to
be in the ${catalina.home}/logs folder files such as

catalina...log
admin...log
host-manager...log
etc

Now there is only

jakarta_service...log
stderr...log
stdout...log

I tried creating a folder log at the same level as public_html -- ie. c:\log --
but it did not work.

Incidentally, my log4j.properties specifies the log file as logs/MyFile.log,
and that file is created in the ${catalina.home} folder.