Hi

Tomcat 6.0.16
jdk1.6.0_06
javamail 1.4.1

I have a simple component that uses javamail 1.4.1 to send e-mail
It works perfectly 'standalone' (executed from Eclipse).
It connects to the server (mail.smtp.auth = false)
and sends the email

I've read the available docs at
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/jndi-resources-howto.html
which talk about activation.jar among others
As I am using jdk 1.6 I understand that this is no longer required (it
is included in the distro).

The javamail 1.4.1 jars are in CATALINA_HOME/lib
I have also tried them in WEB-INF/classes/lib

when I invoke the component in the webapp I get
javax.mail.AuthenticationFailedException
debug output shows that my components configuration parameters are
IDENTICAL to those used in standalone mode.

I am not using jndi resources or resources defined in context.xml, I
am not using tomcats JavaMail session management.

I just need this to work as a simple component without lots of config
to start with.

Can anyone let me in on the 'secret' to getting this to work. I've had
similar components working in earlier releases (and they are still
working)
Something must have changed, I'm rather hoping it's not a securuity
thing but I suspect it might be.

I'm not asking anyone to debug my application I could just do with a
pointer or two.

Any help much appreciated

Cheers
lyallex