> From: andre John Mas [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Session timeout related fixes between Tomcat 5.0 and
> Tomcat 5.5.x?
>
> Basically what is happening is that, despite the idle
> time-out being set for 20 minutes we are seeing sessions
> that have been idle (have not been accessed) for over
> 3 hours.

Do you have keep alives enabled?  Look at the maxKeepAliveRequests attribute:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/http.html#Standard%20Implementation

Is your webapp caching sessions for any reason?  Can you implement a
SessionListener to see if expiration events are occurring?

> The net result is that the Tomcat server needs to get restarted.

Why?  Are you running out of heap space?  Do you have a memory leak elsewhere
as well?

> One parallel line of analysis is to find out if there were
> any fixes between 5.0.x and 5.5.x, that are related to
> sessions not timing out.

The changelog is here for your perusal:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/changelog.html

 - Chuck