> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: default application versus secondary application
>
> My directory structure is like this:
> c:\webapps\
> c:\webapps\ROOT\
> c:\webapps\ROOT\index.html
> c:\webapps\secondApp\
> c:\webapps\secondApp\index.html

The above is appropriate for two applications, one the default, and the other
having to be specified explicitly.

> Now suppose I have the following files
> c:\webapps\ROOT\secondApp\
> c:\webapps\ROOT\secondApp\index.html

The above is not two applications - it's just one, the default.  However, by
mixing two webapps together, you've gone against the intent of the servlet
spec, which is oriented towards separate independent webapps.

> When I enter the above URL, Tomcat still shows the contents of
> c:\webapps\secondApp\index.html

Then you either still have webapps/secondApp around, or your browser is caching
the response and never even sending the request to Tomcat.

> (1) What are the reasons to create many applications?

If the applications have nothing to do with each other, why would you muddle
them together?  If they're separate, you can deploy, stop, undeploy, restart,
or modify each without impacting any other.  When you put them together,
they're just one webapp, sharing resources must be managed as a single app.

> (2) Will an application with name X hide a folder with name X
> in the root/default application?

In general, yes.  The spec requires matching the longest context path in order
to select which webapp to deliver a request to.  Be careful with your naming of
secondary parts of the default webapp URL to make sure they don't conflict with
other deployed webapps.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.