Hi Chris,

Thanks for your response. I actually don't invalidate the current
session there. That's what is so frustrating -- the code snippet I
provided is at the very top of the method, and there's no more reference
to the session or request until using setAttribute.

I don't mind providing the code -- it's at http://java.pastebin.ca/1283742.

Actually, looking at it in the pastebin -- could it be that I'm setting
an attribute FOR the error about a missing session?

Hmm.... did I just solve my own problem?

Martin

Christopher Schultz wrote:
> Martin,
>
> Martin B. Smith wrote:
>> With Tomcat 5.5 , I'm using the (what I assume to be typical) pattern:
>
>> --
>> if(!request.isRequestedSessionIdValid() || request.getSession(false) ==
>> null)
>> {
>>   // some code to bail out and return an error
>> }
>
>> HttpSession session = request.getSession();
>

> I've never done this. I typically just do:
>
> HttpSession nonRequiredSession = request.getSession(false);
>
> if(null === nonRequiredSession)
>   // I gots no session
> else
>   // I have a session
>
>> and yet, later on in my code, a call to session.setAttribute() throws
>> the following exception (see bottom of email)... what am I doing wrong?
>
>> Throwable/Exception cause: java.lang.IllegalStateException:
>> setAttribute: Session already invalidated
>
> Presumably, your code has called session.invalidate() during the
> processing of the current request. I'm not sure what happens if you do this:
>
> session = request.getSession();
> session.invalidate();
> session = request.getSession();
> session.setAttribute("foo", "bar");
>
> Will this fail on the setAttribute, or will the second getSession give
> you a new session?
>
> My guess is that your code does the above, but without the second
> request.getSession(), so you end up with an invalidated session into
> which you are trying to shove attributes.
>
> Maybe you could post the code?
>
> -chris

Martin Smith, Systems Developer
mart...@bebr.ufl.edu
Bureau of Economic and Business Research
University of Florida
(352) 392-0171 Ext. 221