"Michael Rooz" <michaelr...@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:3df1c6c00812170307m3252f89p8c58b8373142...@mail.gmail.com...
> Hi,
>
> I've successfully configured Tomcat to use Client Authentication.
> Evidently
> for Tomcat to reflect updates made to the truststore, it needs to be
> restarted.
>
> How can I get Tomcat to reload its truststore without performing a
> restart?

Well, you can stop and start the Connector (e.g. via JMX).  But Tomcat will
never re-load the truststore while the Connector is running on it's own.  Of
course, if you are using a dynamic truststore (e.g. card-based), then this
shouldn't be a problem.

In general, it is very rarely that you need to update the truststore since
it just contains the trusted CA certs.  Adding a user from a trusted CA
doesn't require an update, since the user's cert will be accepted at the SSL
layer.

> If this requires writing a custom connector that would for example
> reinitialize the SSLContext,  where can I find some documentation that can
> be of some help/guidance?

Not sure if this can be done from the APR Connector, but for the Java
Connectors you need to create your own SSLImplementation (from o.a.t.u.net)
and configure it with
sSSImplementation="com.myfirm.mypackage.MySSLImplementation" on the
<Connector .../> element.  There is some information in the archives for
this list, but otherwise the Tomcat JavaDocs and/or source code.