Hi.

On a customer Suse Enterprise Linux system I have inherited a Tomcat 5.0, running on an IBM JVM 1.5. It runs, but the Tomcat packagers of Suse seem to have even more delight with softlinks than the Debian ones. (The common/lib and shared/lib have several hundred of them, never mind the usual conf and work and other suspects).

For a couple of other Java applications, I had to install a Sun Java JDK 1.6 on that same system.

Now I am wondering whether it is worth trying to "fix" the existing Tomcat 5.0 Suse package to have it use the Sun JDK 1.6, and get rid of the IBM JVM, or whether I should just leave well-enough alone and keep the two JVM's side-by-side.

Anyone with any experience with this kind of thing ?
Just as a general idea.