From: David Smith [mailto:d...@cornell.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 5:40 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException with small jsp file

Is there any error messages before this in the logs that might offer any
further insight?

When you say the class file exists, do you mean there
is both hello_jsp.java and hello_jsp.class?  Or is the .class file
missing.  Lastly, are you sure the user tomcat is running as has read
privilege to the file?

--David

John Byrne wrote:
> Hello all,
>

> I was wondering whether any of you could help me out with a problem I'm
> having.  I'm getting a java.lang.ClassNotFoundException when trying to run
> jsp application.  The class file exists and is under:
>
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat
> 6.0\work\Catalina\localhost\HelloWorld\org\apache\jsp
>

> But it looks like Tomcat isn't finding it.  I'm getting other exceptions
too
> (all of them are below):
>
> org.apache.jasper.JasperException: org.apache.jasper.JasperException:
Unable
> to load class for JSP

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.getServlet(JspServletWrapper.jav
> a:156)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:3
> 29)
>

> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:342)
>
>         org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:267)
>
>         javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)
>
> root cause
>
> org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to load class for JSP

org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.load(JspCompilationContext.java:620)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.getServlet(JspServletWrapper.jav
> a:144)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:3
> 29)
>

> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:342)
>
>         org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:267)
>
>         javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)
>
> root cause
>
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.jsp.Hello_jsp
>
>         java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
>
>         java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
>
>         java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
>

> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JasperLoader.loadClass(JasperLoader.java:134)
>

> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JasperLoader.loadClass(JasperLoader.java:66)

org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.load(JspCompilationContext.java:618)