Thanks for the quick response David.
Yes, I forgot to mention, I have connected to the DB using MySQL
client using the same credentials as defined in the realm.

Also keep in mind the JDBCRealm for folder access control work, so a
connection is possible. For some reason its the connection obtained
from the InitialContext that does not work from the linux host. Also,
the connection obtained by the InitialContext does work when running
the application from my local machines (connecting to either a locally
hosted DB or the linux hosted DB).