Juha Laiho wrote:
[...]
Thanks, Juha.  That helps me think in another direction.
Maybe indeed in this case the mod_headers module does not get a chance to modify the response headers, because it is added before the mod_jk module, and mod_jk overrides it. It is worth investigating anyway, since the other solutions I can see are a lot heavier in my case (output filter or trying mod_proxy_ajp).

I have tried changing the Content-Type header in a servlet filter under Tomcat. However, that also has the side-effect that the servlet then, for its response, really uses the new character encoding specified in the header, to produce its response. That is not what I want here, because the problem is that the servlet response is already correct (in the iso-8859-2 encoding), it is just that the Content-Type header is incorrect and does not match the real charset of the response. The underlying reason for all that stuff is obscure and OT here, but that is really what happens.