> No, you don't, other than to indicate the
> authentication mechanism.  The presence of the <Realm>
> element inside your webapp's <Context> should be
> sufficient to cause Tomcat to use it.

That's what I thought, but my Realm is just ignored and the one that is present
by default when installing Tomcat is used instead.

> Are you using the same database for both application usage
> and authentication?  That's odd, but doable.

Yes, same datasource. Won't go into the details, but perfectly valid reason for
doing so.

> If the context.xml file is in the webapp's META-INF
> directory, the path and docBase attributes are not allowed -
> remove them.

Yes, in the META-INF. I removed the path and docBase attributes, but still no
joy.

> Is there a conf/Catalina/[host]/rankings.xml file present?

no.

> Is there anything in the Tomcat logs pertinent to the use
> of the <Realm>?

No, that was going to be my next question. I see no authentication logging
whatsoever. Not even of the default Realm, which has debug="0".

I'm baffled.

Charl