When followed the same procedure for tomcat 6.0.16 with identitical entries
in required files, i could see Apache forwarding requests to Tomcat. i.e.
http://192.168.1.1:8080/sample-site/jsp/home.jsp AND
http://192.168.1.1/sample-site/jsp/home.jsp displays me the expected site
page.

I followed exactly the same procedure woth Tomcat 5.5.27 but URL without
port 8080 reports page not found.