> From: Jonathan Mast [mailto:jhmast.develo...@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Can Tomcat be used to host socket servers?
>
> By socket servers, I mean the existing programs are bound
> to a particular port number and just sit there waiting for
> requests.  The port numbers are arbitrary

How do they get assigned?  When you say the program is listening for a request,
does it have a socket_read or socket_accept up?  (The first is looking for
data, the second for a connection request.)

> I'm not knowledgeable enough of networking to know whether
> they use HTTP or not.

That's a rather critical factor to determine whether or not you can simply pass
on the request to a servlet.

> The reason I would have liked Tomcat to handle the whole
> shebang is that now I'll have to adjust each system that
> hosts these sockets to automatically invoke them when they
> restart.  Kinda tedious.

You won't be able to use a stock Tomcat to listen/read on those ports, but you
could still package your socket servers inside a webapp.  A
ServletContextListener inside the webapp would likely have to create a thread
for each port of interest, and those threads could connect with the standar
Tomcat port to pass on HTTP-formatted requests.  Your clients would have to
expect HTTP as a response, or your server threads would have to convert the
response to whatever protocol the clients do expect.

You could also write your own Tomcat connector to do the above, rather than a
webapp, but you would then be pretty much tied to a specific level of Tomcat.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.