thanks for the tip. indeed, the server.xml is not used at all. I removed it
completely from the conf dir and when I ran catalina.bat run, the log output
didn't change at all - still the same error.
I have another tomcat instance on the same server, running as a service. so
it's probably using the server.xml from the other tomcat installation,
right? strange.. what may cause this?

tnx,
Kaur