Hi,

I just wanted to update the Tomcat5w.exe and tomcat5.exe on our Windows 2003
production system.

I was running Tomcat5.exe version 2.0.3 and had unpredictable but regularly
every few days "unexpectedly died, it did this ... times" messages in the
event-log without any trace in any other logfile. So I checked the Tomcat
subversion
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/connectors/trunk/procrun/bin/amd64/ and
downloaded the two exe-files. The version was counting up 2.0.4, so I decided
to give it a try together with upgrading to JVM 1.5.0_17.

Unfortunately, the tomcat5w.exe 2.0.4 reads its settings from another registry
hive than the 2.0.3 version. The 2.0.3 version reads the registry for 64bit
native binaries (Software/apache../procrun2.0/<servicename>),  the 2.0.4
version reads the 32-bit emulation registry (path
...Software/WOW6432.../Apache.../procrun2.0/<servicename>).

I have checked using Task-Manager and the running version of tomcat5w.exe is
actually 64bit (2.0.3 as well as 2.0.4). So something must be wrong here -
anyone else realized this strange behavior?

I tried to find the sourcecode for the version 2.0.4, but it actually really
seems to be hidden quite well. I checked the commons-daemon repository, but I
could not match version numbers (procrun is version 1.0.1, no trace of 2.0.4
found). I checked some resource files in the 1.0.1 repository and found a
version number definition of 2.1.0 ... argh - gave up.

WELL, any help would be appreciated, especially on the root cause for my
update-wish, the unexpectedly dying tomcat/procrun-service.

With best regards,
Thomas Strauß

SRS PaperDynamix®
DIGITAL SCHON AUF DEM PAPIER

SRS-Management GmbH
Berliner Ring 93
64625 Bensheim
T +49 6251 85 424 - 20
F +49 6251 85 424 - 14
M +49 174 2110912

www.srs-management.de<http://www.srs-management.de>
www.srs-paperdynamix.de<http://www.srs-paperdynamix.de>

HRB 25262 AG Darmstadt
Geschäftsführer: Detlev Homilius, Thomas Strauß