randhir.si...@elitecore.com wrote:
> I had a doubt of something I had heard with regard to the access of URL
> possible without port number if apache is used in the environment. We have
> our application running with JBOSS as the AS and tomcat as the web server.
> My question is that is the URL,
>
> http://application-URL:10080
>
> assuming tomcat is running on port 10080 can be accessed like
>
> http://application-URL
>
> without the port number if apache is also installed.
>
> I hope, my question is clear.
>
> Please, help in solving the doubt.
>
> regards

Small knit here -- when you omit the port number in your URLs, the
browser assumes port 80 for http and 443 for https protocols.  Most
modern browsers will also assume http protocol if you omit the http://
from the beginning of your urls as well.  You could configure a
connector in tomcat to listen on port 80 and eliminate Apache HTTPd all
together if you like.

--David