I have a Tomcat cluster with mod_jk and another one with mod_proxy_http,
and I'm quite happy with both.
Just in case somebody is interested, this guy wrote a blog post about
configuring apache with mod_proxy_http:

http://www.darkcoding.net/software/goodbye-mod_jk-hello-mod_proxy/

Although he says goodbye mod_jk, hello mod_proxy, he doesn't really
justify why...

Pieter Temmerman
email: ptemmerman....@sadiel.es
skype: ptemmerman.sadiel