Charles, List,

>Hmmm... could be a JVM bug, or might be a conflict with classes in your
>webapp.  Do you happen to have some XML-related jars in >your webapp or
>otherwise visible to that branch of the classloader tree?  (I guess you
>answered that below.)

Well, actually, the developers also included an Apache Xerces library (note
that the other Xerces library is Sun's implementation). Apart from that, as you
mentioned below there are XFire related libraries.

>No, JDK5 works fine with Tomcat 6.  The newer JVM is a bit faster, in many
>cases.

Good to know. And what about Tomcat 5 with JDK6?

>It looks like XFire has been superseded by CXF; have you tried that?
>http://xfire.codehaus.org/
>http://cxf.apache.org/

Yes, I also noticed that CXF was the way to go, unfortunately this application
has not been developed by me and is closed source, so the only option is to use
it as it is..with XFire.

I mailed both XFire and Sun's mailinglist a few days ago, but unfortunately I'm
still waiting for a reply.

I guess I'll just have to deal with the fact that it doesn't work with JDK6,
although I don't know why.

Anyway, many thanks to all of you for helping me out. It's kindly appreciated.

Regards,

Pieter