On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 10:41 AM, Christopher Schultz
<ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:
>> But if I copy a new .war into webapps, or touch the existing .war, so
>> that my app redeploys, my sessions are deleted.
>
> Are you sure that simply 'touch'ing the existing WAR causes your
> sessions to die? I can't account for that, but...

Yes, I am certain. Touch blows away the sessions. But tomcat
shutdown/restart preserves them.

I tried enabling debug message for the manager, with <Manager
debug="4" />, and I have my logger configured to show "ALL", but I
don't see any messages from the manager in my logs.

> If you recompile a class, the compiler assigns it a new serialVersionID
> (unless you specify one). If you have an object of a class (say,
> foo.bar.Baz) that was serialized with version X before the restart, and
> the class in the running server after the restart has version Y, then
> the object is not compatible and the de-serialization will fail. Are you
> getting any error messages? ClassCastException? Some weird versioning
> error? I have forgotten what the JVM says when these error occur...
> though the persistent session manager might ignore those errors.

I don't see anything relevant in the logs. My session consists of a
single value, a Byte[], so I shouldn't have a problem with
unserializable data. Besides, it reloads properly across a tomcat
restart.

Do you have an app that preserves sessions through a redeploy?

Thanks for your help!