Sorry I am little confused about couple of things:

1. Based on what I read it looks like workers.properties is not loaded
dynamically. And JkMountFileReload doesn't work for worker.properties
but it works for uriworkermap.properties.
2. Wouldn't setting prepost timeout ensure that a check is made to see
if remote machine is up before forwarding the request?