log looks good, the warning could be that you are using an old configuration option
take a look at

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/cluster-howto.html

also, what could mean that it doesn't work, would be that multicast is not working for you, and you need to enable multicast.

you can also set up static members,
http://tomcat.markmail.org/search/?q=cluster%20static%20member#query:cluster%20static%20member%20list%3Aorg.apache.tomcat.users%20date%3A200707-200902%20from%3A%22SANCHEZ%2C%20Michel%22+page:1+mid:slqnel56c2lougo3+state:results

Filip

Eric B. wrote:
Hi,

I'm brand new to clustering and read through the docs at
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/cluster-howto.html to get a better
understanding of how it works.  I tried the settings I would have expected
to work, and on startup, I can see both tomcat's communicate and join the
cluster (via standard logging).  However, it seems as though my sessions are
not replicating properly.

Given that I probably messed something up along the line, I wanted to try
and see if I could enable better logging.  At the bottom of the how-to page,
it indicates that monitoring can be done via JMX.  So I enabled JMX, and
launched jConsole to connect.  However, once connected, I don't see any
cluster MBeans defined anywhere.  Am I missing something obvious somewhere?
I've pasted an excerpt of my startup log at the bottom that indicates (I
think) that the cluster has launched properly.  However, the only MBeans I
see are the JvmRouteBinderValve and ReplicationValve listed under the Valve
bean.  I don't see any beans for Cluster or for the Manager.  I have tried
both with the cluster configuration under the Host and Engine with no
difference. I did get one warning (see below) regarding the SimpleTcpCluster, but didn't expect that to be anything critical as I am using all the default params.

I figure there must be another way to enable some more detailed logging
elsewhere so that I can see the tomcat instances communicating.  Can anyone
direct me to the right place how/where to enable that?  I can't seem to find
that in the docs anywhere.

Thanks for any help!

Eric

Feb 10, 2009 5:32:22 PM org.apache.catalina.ha.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster
setProperty
WARNING: Dynamic setProperty(className,value) has been disabled, please use
explicit properties for the element you are trying to identify
INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/6.0.14
Feb 10, 2009 5:14:54 PM org.apache.catalina.ha.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster start
INFO: Cluster is about to start
Feb 10, 2009 5:14:54 PM org.apache.catalina.tribes.transport.ReceiverBase
bind
INFO: Receiver Server Socket bound to:/192.168.103.103:4000
Feb 10, 2009 5:14:54 PM
org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.McastServiceImpl setupSocket
INFO: Setting cluster mcast soTimeout to 500
Feb 10, 2009 5:14:54 PM
org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.McastServiceImpl waitForMembers
INFO: Sleeping for 1000 milliseconds to establish cluster membership, start
level:4
Feb 10, 2009 5:14:55 PM
org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.McastServiceImpl waitForMembers
INFO: Done sleeping, membership established, start level:4
Feb 10, 2009 5:14:55 PM
org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.McastServiceImpl waitForMembers
INFO: Sleeping for 1000 milliseconds to establish cluster membership, start
level:8
Feb 10, 2009 5:14:56 PM
org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.McastServiceImpl waitForMembers
INFO: Done sleeping, membership established, start level:8
Feb 10, 2009 5:33:27 PM org.apache.catalina.ha.session.JvmRouteBinderValve
start
INFO: JvmRouteBinderValve started