Thank you both for the very comprehensible explanation.

So I followed the steps awarnier suggested:

(0) stopped banging the head and had a good cup of coffee =)

1. Looked at the event logs ==> found nothing

2. Checked the option 'Interact with desktop' with the local system user ==>
my batch finally did what I intended, but not the printing as no printers
are known. But at least now I got a message telling me what's wrong.

3. switched to a domain user (same one that is used to logon and that is
used on several other servers) ==> it is not possible to start any batch
that uses a GUI as you can't check the option 'Interact with desktop' using
another account. As awarnier suggested I've tried writing to a txt-file, and
that works perfectly.

So it's clear now the problem is starting the GUI-applications, and the
program I use to print the pdf-files has a GUI (SumatraPdf). I'm using this
alternative as Adobe Acrobat is opening windows each time it's printing a
file, even from the commandline.

Can I set the 'Interact with desktop' in another place? Or does someone has
a solution to the problem with the GUI?

Thanks.