Hi,
We had similar behaviour on our server, apache in the front serving tomcat
on SSL, mostly servlets. First off, this is what we installed: Tomcat 5.5.27
and Apache 2.2.11 with mod_jk 1.2.26. The server is a 64 bit version of
Windows Server 2008 (2 CPUs). We got some strange problems with constant
high CPU usage. A thread suggested to change the tcnative.dll to an older
version since there was a bug in that, so we did and changed to version
1.1.6.0 (somewhere in the process we have misplaced the tomcat version this
file came with..) , and that got rid of the CPU usage problems.

But then another problem arose. After uploading documents into our system,
we could not download them successfully - this was first seen with PDF
files. And the larger the file, the more likely the problem. Then we noticed
that going directly towards Tomcat (on 8080) worked like a charm, so did
accessing static files under apache - but when trying the same static files
under tomcat - going through apache - it failed again.

We have tried different versions of mod_jk with no success, and experimented
with mod_expires settings etc. Then we got reports of issues where large
servlet generated reports got messed up, and it seemed the stream had just
left out parts of the produced HTML code, only to continue further down in
the expected report. And finally, to top it, we also got data from one user
showing up at another user!

After having no success we finally decided to try to remove the tcnative
DLL, and what do you know, it worked! No more problems with PDFs, and so
far, no more cut or mixed servlet response!

So what I want to know is, what could have caused this? My knowledge of both
Apache server and Tomcat is rather limited, so I hope someone can come up
with a good answer :)