> From: Taylan Develioglu [mailto:tdevelio...@ebuddy.com]
> Subject: Re: Fatal error: Cleaner terminated abnormally
>
> By trapping the exit call using security manager we hope to prevent
> Tomcat from closing down on a cleaner termination.

This is not likely to work, since the Cleaner is running this code as a
privileged operation; if regular applications could trap those, I think there
would be some serious security holes.

> Not sure what the side  effects would be to keep running
> after a cleaner terminates (any idea).

The thread doing the System.exit() call is the reference handler; the JVM will
not function properly if it's not running.  The exception should have been
logged and ignored, not result in JVM termination, but I suspect it will be
difficult to convince Sun of that at this point.

> I forgot to say thanks for the response guys. Especially
> yours Chris, it was very helpful.

Odd, because Chris didn't participate in this thread...

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.