Thanks,
I resolved this issue by having Eclipse use the Tomcat SDK.

Unfortunately I now have a different problem with my initial app.

I have an HTML page - index.html which asks the user to select one of two
values from a dropdown and then click a Submit button.

It's a regular HTML form using POST request. I have a context in my
server.xml, I have a servlet mapped in web.xml. I have the servlet class
compiled and in the deployment dir under webapps in tomcat directory.
However, when I hit the submit button on the HTML, nothing happens.

not sure where I went wrong.