Christopher Schultz-2 wrote:

> Rainer,
>
> On 3/2/2009 11:07 AM, Rainer Jung wrote:
>> I think a robust implementation would be something like:
>>
>> - a new state for temporarily disabling a node, except for sticky
>> requests
>>
>> - a configurable probe request, that the watchdog thread sends, and
>> which is answered by the application, the answer containing the
>> information whether the node should be temporarily disabled or not
>
> Just to be clear, you are talking about a new feature that would
> temporarily adjust the setting for the "activation" property of a
> particular worker in a load-balanced configuration, right?

Yes.

Christopher Schultz-2 wrote:

> This would take a worker from activation=Active to activation=D in
> response to some
> "configurable probe request" that would be sent by the watchdog thread
> periodically. Presumably, the application would eventually respond with
> "re-enable this worker".

I would like to have the same behavior of the fail_on_status.
When the worker is temporary disabled (activation=D) the connector wait for
x seconds. When this time expires it tries to activate the worker, if the
status returned is ok the worker will be activated.
No threads, no probe.

Christopher Schultz-2 wrote:

>> I'm not sure, what the purpose of this is. Assume our session load
>> balancing works, so that all three nodes have an equal number of
>> sessions, you would soon end up having all your nodes temporarily
>> disabled. No?
>
> I tend to agree with Rainer, here: if you put a cap on your sessions
> (per app server) and you are worried about hitting that limit, then you
> are likely to hit that limit on all your servers eventually. What, then?
> Show a "too many sessions; come back later" page?

Yes, I do. Now it happens when the request reach a tomcat having no more
session available.
But the LB worker doesn't know and continue to send request to this tomcat.
I could use the session method for LB worker, but I have M apache httpd
server connected to N tomcat (full-meshed) and I think each LB worker know
his session count, but nothing about the other, so the balancing could be
"unfair". Isn't it?

Thank you very much.

Matteo