Hi,

we have a web server with two apache instances running on that. Experiencing
high load on server and the "top" shows httpd's taking CPU. The httpd.conf
worker setting is -

<IfModule worker.c>
#ServerLimit         25
StartServers         2
MaxClients         300
MinSpareThreads     75
MaxSpareThreads    250
ThreadsPerChild     25
MaxRequestsPerChild  20000
</IfModule>

Looking at server resources, we dont find any memory issue & no swapping
seen. the "vmstat" output shows that the run queue("r") increases higher
thatn the number of CPU's on the server. Server has 2 dual Core Intel(R)
Xeon(TM) CPU 3.06GHz.

I feel since processes are going in CPU run queue it may happen apache is
not tunned properly to handle requests though we dont see any crunch on
server resources.

Any suggestions?

Also i would like to know the thumb rule calculations for
configuring/tunning worker threads i..e how to decide on values for
ServerLimit, Maxclient, Minspare threads ect etc.

Thanks in advance

Kulbir