On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 16:03, Ken Bowen <kbo...@als.com> wrote:
> I agree with everything in both posts, but I just don't see what the
> /location/ of the jsp files (inside/outside WEB-INF) has to do with it.
> All that controls is whether a user/client can find a way to look inside the
> file.
> One can (as I do) follow the separation of concerns quite strictly (app
> logic in java files; presentation in jsp files), and have those
> jsp files residing in something like webapps/app/pages, while the classes of
> course normally reside in webapps/app/WEB-INF/classes.
> And I'm sure we could find (in the wild out there, not developed by anyone
> here) JSP pages residing under WEB-INF which were
> horribly encrusted with java code and application logic.
>
> It's more a matter of developer discipline than anything else.

So, I'm a disciplined developer? :-)

Yeah, it's basically because in this setup the JSP pages are part of
the app's implementation, not part of the exposed URL space. So I put
them under WEB-INF with the classes, libs, tags, etc. Practically
speaking the effect of allowing user access to the JSPs would be that
you could enter a bogus URL and get a garbage page (probably a 500
error).
--
Len