Hi all,

on one of our websites we have a problem with threads keep hanging in Tomcat. We first noticed this 1.5 week ago and tried several things to find a solution. At that moment we were using java 1.4 and Tomcat 5.0. The symptoms were there after three hours of operation, about 250 threads were hanging within tomcat, and they seemed to be waiting for "something".

After a week we realised we needed more information whihc we couldn't get from the current setup, we upgraded the three production application servers to be Java 1.5 and Tomcat 5.5.25. All three servers still have the same problem, although the problem now has an interval of appr. 6 hours instead of three.

During the hanging of the threads we made 8 threaddumps. But i am unsure of how to "read" the thread dumps. A small overview of the state of the threads:

- 309 threads overall
- Threads waiting for monitors: 57
- Threads sleeping on monitors: 191
- Threads locking monitors: 225
- Monitors: 225
- Monitors without locking threads: 3

Can somebody please help me figuring out what the cause is, or how to find the cause of the problem?

Best regards,

Patrick