The problem is your other running application is in a separate jvm
instance. Even if you did get it to run inside tomcat, it wouldn't be
able to bridge tomcat to the other running app by jar alone. The API
would have to define some sort of communication and work in a
client/server mode of some sort -- even if by unix sockets.

--David