> From: Ian Long [mailto:ian.l...@opterus.com]
> Subject: Garbage collection problem and Tomcat
>
> I'm having an issue where a connection pool (apache dbcp) is waiting
> forever for a connection, when I see no reason for it to do so.

The usual cause is pool exhaustion, due to improper coding in a webapp that
fails to return connections to the pool under *all* circumstances.

> Nothing else has the lock

Irrelevant.

> I googled the problem and found a few other people who had
> the issue, and there problem was related to GC.

Highly unlikely; sounds like finger-pointing.

> I see the 'from space' is at 99% used, as is PSPermGen object space.

Not true in either case.  You've used up 99% of what was *allocated* for the
particular space at this time, not 99% of the maximum.  You're nowhere close to
filling up any region of the heap.

> Do you think this could be causing my problem?

No.

If you had bothered to tell us the version of Tomcat you're using, we could
have told you the proper documentation to read about how to use a connection
pool.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.