Hi,

I've an applet, that should run out of an apache-tomcat-6.0.18 and that
should be seen with Internet Explorer 7.0 and with FireFox 3.

The applet does work in a plain HTML-Page with IE and with FF.

<HTML>
  <HEAD>
        <TITLE>Applet Test</TITLE>
  </HEAD>
  <BODY>
        <applet code="Applet.class" archive="applet1.jar" width="90%"
height="90%"
/>
  </BODY>
</HTML>

(Applet-Code lies within the JAR-File in the same directory with the
HTML-file.)

If I open this HTML-file with the Internet Explorer 7, the applet does work!

My next step was trying this applet delivered by Tomcat 6.0.18.
I've edited the file SOMEWHERE\apache-tomcat-6.0.18\webapps\ROOT\index.html
and added the following line to the HTML-source:

<applet code="Applet.class" codebase="." archive="applet1.jar" width="90%"
height="90%" />

Second I've put the JAR-File applet1.jar in the directory
SOMEWHERE\apache-tomcat-6.0.18\webapps\ROOT

If I now open the page http://localhost:8080/ with my Firefox 3-Browser, I
see the Tomcat-Root-Page containing my correctly rendered applet.

If I open the page http://localhost:8080/ with my IE-7-Browser, the applet
won't be rendered.

The security-settings in the IE are:

- Java-Plugin-installed and activated
- popupblocker deactivated
- http://localhost is a trusted site
- security for trusted sites is set to very low
- scripting of java-applets activated
- use Java-Sun JRE for <applet>

To sum it up, I've set the security as low, as it can get, but still the
applet won't start.

So where's my error? What's the difference between displaying the
mere-HTML-file vs. the Tomcat-startpage?

Any help is very appreciated!

Greetings,
Herbert