OK, so what would it look like? Show me a comparable snippet of PHP code.

How does one enable this feature if its off by default?  Why is it off by
default? I guessing it opens up security issues and/or has side effects. Not
conducive to enterprise-level computing, imho.

What is PEAR? Is that like the standard JavaSE library? The last time I was
on php.net it seemed to be something that must be downloaded separately from
the php server.

>relies on OS abilities.
Does this mean my PHP code would have to tailored to Windows, MacOSX, or
Linux? Please clarify.