So do I understand this correctly?
Tomcat will read the context.xml file in the META-INF directory and get the
data source from there?

I also added a resource ref in my web.xml because that's what various
tutorials suggest. After that is done, how do I obtain a connection?

and one more question, is it correct to make a DAO a singleton?

Thanks,