> From: Bart Ophelders [mailto:bartopheld...@hotmail.com]
> Subject: Apache in front of Tomcat or APR?
>
> What do I use best to set up a Shibboleth Identity provider:
> Apache in front of Tomcat, Tomcat with APR or just Tomcat?

(I'll assume by "Apache" you mean httpd, since both Tomcat and httpd are Apache
products.)

I'm always of the opinion that one should use the minimum necessary components
to get the job done.  So, unless you have some compelling need for httpd (e.g.,
running PHP), I would not include it in the configuration.  If you expect to
have a lot of SSL traffic, then using the APR option of Tomcat would help
there.  If the amount of SSL traffic is limited, I wouldn't bother with it; if
the traffic increases, you can always add it later.

> I know Apache and APR use the OpenSSL libraries, which
> some say are safer.

Some say the world is flat (sorry, Mr Pratchett).  Got any data?

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.