Munkhbold.B wrote:
Hi

I have a problem with tomcat connector mod_jk.

From time to time the connector completely hangs apache.

Tomcat alone is still alive, but apache no longer replies to requests, and I
need to restart both

In mod_jk logs file I have a lot of lines like

[info] init_jk::mod_jk.c (3183): mod_jk/1.2.28 initialized

 [info] jk_handler::mod_jk.c (2608): Aborting connection for worker=node1

 [info] ajp_process_callback::jk_ajp_common.c (1788): Writing to client
aborted or client network problems

 [info] ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (2447): (node1) sending request to
tomcat failed (unrecoverable), because of client write error (attempt=1)

[...]

I'm using versions

mod_jk/1.2.28 Apache/2.2.8
tomcat/6.0.14

I googled and found this:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/tomcat-users/200611.mbox/%3C456042F
5.4070...@kippdata.de%3e

But this error still on mod_jk/1.2.28?
Hi.
If you read that response carefully (and the same subject has come up several times on this list since then), you will see that this is not an error in mod_jk, nor in Apache or Tomcat.
Errors like

>  [info] ajp_process_callback::jk_ajp_common.c (1788): Writing to client
> aborted or client network problems
>
>  [info] ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (2447): (node1) sending request to
> tomcat failed (unrecoverable), because of client write error (attempt=1)

happen for the reason given in the response : Apache/mod_jk/Tomcat cannot send the response to the client anymore, because basically the client is not there anymore.
Re-read the response for more details.

Now why Apache is not responding anymore, may or may not have a connection (sic) with these messages. (But it is most probably not "because" of the above log messages, nor because of a bug in mod_jk).

When Apache is in that condition, you should try to collect some additional data, to see why it is unresponsive.

For example, try "netstat -an" (works under Windows and Linux) to check if your server might be under some attack. If you are under Unix/Linux, try "top" or "ps" to see what Apache processes are doing. You could also look at the Apache access and error logs to see if there is anything going on. There are also several Apache modules that may help (mod_status, mod_log_forensic,..).

Next time, also try to be a bit more specific about what you mean by "apache no longer replies to requests". Do you get "connection refused", or does the browser connect and then times out after a couple of minutes, or what error do you see ?

Also, presumably some requests should go to Tomcat via mod_jk, but maybe some requests are being handled directly by Apache. If so, do both kinds of requests not work anymore ?