Evan Siegel wrote:
This posting raises a question I've long had: What JSP-friendly hosts are to be
recommended. I did some searching and came up with a large number of helpful
sites, but I'd like to poll the list members on the matter.See the following:
http://www.hosting-review.com/hosting-directory/top-10-lists/Top-JSP-Hosting-Companies.shtml
I'm seriously consideringhttp://hostpapa.com/hr_offer_green.shtml
Thank you.

Since writing my original message, I've done two ISP/Hosting deployments.

The first was to LunarPages.com. They're using an older version of resin. Installation was pretty smooth. My only comment is the older version of Resin they're using doesn't support welcome files that are created via servlet mapping in the web.xml. Installing the app, was as simple as uploading the war file. It deployed within a minute or so, and I was going.

The second was on a Network Solutions Virtual Private Server deployment. I tried using Plesk to deploy the WAR file, and it wasn't working. Logging in via SSH to the root account helped me find out they were using the GNU 1.4.2 JVM. My app is 1.5 or higher. I downloaded JDK 1.5.0_18. Because of memory restrictions, I couldn't run the JVM. Then, I realized that the VPS only had enough memory to run one JVM. After I killed Tomcat and the GNU JVM, I was able to start the updated JVM. Once I updated the JVM, I was able to use Plesk to deploy the WAR file. This went pretty well. In this case, the application is deployed as an uncompressed WAR file. If your application can't handle this then you might have some problems. In my case, the application generally ran fine. I spent another hour or so fixing it so that features that wouldn't work when running as an undeployed WAR file were disabled.

--
George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.