Although we use jBoss for our servers, I use Tomcat for development because
of its much faster restart and better integration with Eclipse.  The
applications reuse certain components heavily and thus rely on the presence
of a central log4j.xml to control the logging level for those components
(which in jBoss' case is jBoss' jboss-logj.xml).

And here comes my problem.  I don't particularly care if Tomcat logging
continues using its current approach, since it is already fairly silent.
But I have to have a central log4j.xml available with default logging
configuration for all of the apps.  How can I do this in Tomcat?